Monday 15 September 2014

Stem Stitch

Stem stitch also known as crewel stitch. The stem stitch is one of the most common embroidery stitches. I like stem stitch because it would create a smooth line on tighter curves. It often used to embroider the leaves and stems. For me, I always use it for outlines.


How I make a stem stitch



1. Make the first stitch by sending the needle up from the back and then sending it down one stitch length to the back.

2. Send the needle up again beside the middle of the previous stitch and close to the design line.

3. Again, send the needle down one stitch length to the back to form another stitch. Repeat step 2 and 3 until the end.

4. A row of stem stitches is completed.





There is another way to make a stem stitch. It can be done by inserting the needle up, then down and up again above the end of the previous stitch. This method is not only good for a broader line but it is also worked excellently for stuffed projects. I like to embroider the mouths or eyes of my sock dolls/animals by this way. Usually, I will use a thin thread to get it done. By referring to the photo below, I will show you the way I make a stem stitch for a design line with this alternative method.



Bring the needle up from the back, insert the needle down one stitch length to the back at point A and come out at point B. Pull the thread through and repeat to the end.

note:
1. You can angle the needle slightly so that it is inserted below the design line (point A) and come out above the end of the previous stitch (point B).

2. To create a smooth line on a tighter curve, take small stitches.







No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...